Saturday, January 14, 2012

Chapter 6

Interdisciplinary thematic instruction is quite a topic and quite a concept.  I appreciated the vignett from the West Salem Middle School.  Having taught middle school for a number of years, the units I remember most, and the ones I worked hardest on were teh interdisciplinary thematic ones.  Not only are these units a source of pride (usually for multiple years) for the school, they are also beneficial in that the learning process looks at the whole student, not just the history student, who magically transforms after 50 mintues to become the English student and then the math student, etc.  Students get as excited about these units as teachers.  I also think this is a good place for new teachers to suggest a interdisciplinary thematic unit as a way of working with their colleagues.  I am glad this chapter included it.

1 comment:

  1. I love the idea of interdisciplinary units. We make comments all the time about how the students think that each class is its own individual entity that has nothing to do with the others. These units could change the way students see their education. Students have so much trouble relating their education to their lives and to other things they know about. I plan to move forward with these types of units and try to get my colleagues to join in.

    ReplyDelete