Sunday, January 8, 2012

Chapter 4

The situational case studies provided in this chapter were great for reflection.  Obviously I could have produced 10 additional ones from my own teaching background and I do reflect after a situation on how I could have handled something differently.  As teachers we all are guilty for engaging in teacher behaviors that do not bring about the best decision making in our charges.  There are a few things we can have control over, the environment, our personal set of tools to deal with situations and our reactions to situations once they occur.  This helps in the feelings of powerlessness over the things we cannot control, such as things that occur before our students enter our classroom.  The section on teacher's sending contradictory messages is really relevant because I have noted that this is one area where students pick this up quicker than any subject concept we are trying to teach.  I really like the way the authors handled this chapter.

1 comment:

  1. Im really glad that you realize the importance of reflection when it comes to teaching. From the little experiences I have had in the classroom I have already met teachers who obviously do not reflect on the pros and cons from previous lessons. I can remember one teacher who continually would not listen yell at students to get to their classes during passing hour, but would never want to stand at their door to welcome the students in. This occurred on a daily basis, and the teacher began getting a rep for being a yeller. It was also apparent that the students did not trust them or have any respect for them because the teacher never reflected on how awful she made the students feel from yelling at them.

    ReplyDelete